Saturday, November 05, 2005

Strangers..

I am once again overwhelmed by the kindness of strangers.

Due to a last minute emergency, the family who was supposed to watch Sabot while I'm in London can't...so, my friend who is going to watch him while I'm in DC for a few months could take him early. To do this, I had to buy a different electric fence collar.

I asked about a military discount and explained that I"m headed to London to see my husband on his R&R from Iraq. She didn't offer one at the time.

A few minutes ago, I received a call from her offering me a discount. She said they normally don't, but it was on her mind last night and all day today. She thanked us for what we (?!?) were doing.

Amazing. I was almost in tears on the phone.

Sigh.

So, I'm about all ready. Packed....thinned down the suitcases...and finally ready. I think. My attitude - if I forget something it's not the end of the world. I'll be able to buy it. It's not like I'm going shipboard and if I forget some critical item, tough shit.

I think the dog knows what is going on. Oh well.

I'm so glad I picked up the dog last night. The original reservation was to pick him up today. But, he was so wonderful to have here. He cuddled with me last night and this AM.

I love being home. I wasn't sleeping well the last few days in Norfolk - waking up at 5am and not able to get to sleep. But, today I woke up at 4:30, fed the dog, laid there cuddling with him for a bit and fell back asleep till 7 or so. Nice. It would have been lonely here without him.

2 comments:

  1. This post nearly made me cry, too. I'm happy you're off to London to see Joe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto what Patti said. Sure, I'm a softy, but I think that was great that she called you back and offered you the discount. And I don't think enough people tell you often enough how much we appreciate your sacrafice as well as Joe's.

    To both of you--Happy Vacation!

    ReplyDelete