Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Cezanne

My fun for the weekend was going to the Cezanne in Provence exhibit at the National Gallery of Art. It was the 2nd weekend that this exhibit was showing - it's the largest collection of Cezanne's works that has ever been assembled and will be going to Aix-en-Provence (birthplace and where he spent much of his life) when complete. First, the National Gallery is just a stunning building. Large atriums with greenery, flowers and fountains.

I finally was excited to appreciate art again - I hadn't gone prior to this because I was still a little burnt out after London. I wasn't too familiar with Cezanne's works, so I decided to get the audiotour (the first time I've done this). The texture of his paintings when he was playing with the painters knife as an applicator was very neat. The transition to smaller brushstrokes and large blocks of color was very neat. While his oils were brilliant, the simplicity of his "watercolor and graphite" (aka pencil) were stunning. Some of the paintings had very few brushstrokes but the combination of that and the pencil made for a beautiful display.

So, after spending about 1.5 hours admiring the paintings and listening to the audioguide (which I would do again in a heartbeat), I found the Impressionism section. Renoir, Matisse, Monet, Manet, Degas, Seurat (and another one or two that I've forgotten). Some of their best works were all here. It was great. I was just walking and smiling at the beauty. The only thing that sucked was that Joe wasn't there - and he loves impressionism.

All in all - great day.

Saturday, I decided to go out to one of the outlet malls. And - what a steal I got on a coat for Joe at Eddie Bauer! it was supposed to be 70% off original price ($80) but since it rang up at 50% off, they took 70% off the 50% off. So, it was about $10!

No comments:

Post a Comment