Friday, February 17, 2006

IRR Call Ups

I'm sure that the 40-50% of the IRR call ups (something like 3200) have legit reasons to ask for a waiver for their obligation. But what really gets me is this. These people - who for whatever reason whether it be ignoring the telegram, not being reachable, etc - get off without anything. That's bogus. I can't believe that there are people out there who are part of the armed forces to don't at least feel obligated to pony up and ask for an out - vice just ignore it and pretend it will go away.

There was a washington post article this past week talking about the "hundreds" of call-ups - they apparently were given wrong info because there are some 3-4000 call-ups.

But - the IRR people have been neglected for the call-up and the families are left in the lurch. The FRG can't do anything for me because I'm 3000 miles away. My local NG FRGs can't do anything for me because their units are all home and they don't have the same types of meetings. The reserve units don't really give a crap because I'm one person 2 hours from Seattle. And the AD units don't give a crap either.

Then the whole redeployment issue irks me as well. No one knows what the procedure is going to be for Joe when he gets back to Georgia. Does he have to stay around for all of his gear to show up (since he doesn't go to his unit), will they let him put all the gear on the plane vice restricting him to one tough box and 2 duffel bags?

Oh well - we'll get to it when we get to it.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, that's basically a bunch of crap! Not only do they go Scott free, they get to keep their Veterans benefits? All because someone politician thinks it might stir up bad sentiment? Kiss mine!

    I hope the transition goes smoothly for you and Joe. The last thing you need is another headache from the bureaucracy.

    ReplyDelete