Sunday, February 18, 2007

Babies and more

Went to a baby shower for a friend from work yesterday - it was way up in Arlington, WA - about a 3 hour trip with traffic. The way up was easy - I spent some time at the SWE booth for the PSEC Engineering Week Expo. It was fun and a nice chance to chat with some women I haven't seen in a while. I'll be headed up that way again next Saturday for the awards.

Also stopped in a very cool scrapbooking store in Lynnwood - holy cow that place had everything! I was drooling at all the pretty stuff almost the moment I stepped in the door. I love scrapbooking stores - they're usually in really out-of-the-way strip malls and the exteriors typically have no bearing to how amazing the inside looks. Fun times. I did see a few things I had to resist since I'll be heading to the CKC-Portland in a few weeks.

The shower was really nice. I don't have many women friends, so it's always a joy to go to showers and be with a group of friends. It's just one of those things. I didn't have any wedding showers and I doubt that whenever we have kids that I'll have a baby shower. I pretty much only knew the woman having the baby - but it was still very nice.

On the way back down, as the iPOD was shuffling through a song started in Seattle that I normally would have passed by. The pod was loaded with stuff from my brother-in-law and I hate to say it, but 95% of what he loaded on there, I skip. But, I was in traffic (no comments from the S2Cru, please!) and so was occupied with the idiots who can't drive in the rain. So - 'From a Distance' by the Byrds starts. And I was rushed back to grade school at Queen of Apostles where we had to learn the Barbara Streisand version of this song for something. Holy cow - talk about weird. I haven't heard this song in over 15 years and all the lyrics, etc came back to me. Great lyrics, too. Pretty appropriate for now.

From a distance the world looks blue and green,
and the snow-capped mountains white.
From a distance the ocean meets the stream,
and the eagle takes to flight.
From a distance, there is harmony,
and it echoes through the land.
It's the voice of hope,
it's the voice of peace,
it's the voice of every man.
From a distance we all have enough,
and no one is in need.
And there are no guns, no bombs, and no disease,
no hungry mouths to feed.
From a distance we are instruments
marching in a common band.
Playing songs of hope,
playing songs of peace.
They're the songs of every man.
God is watching us.
God is watching us.
God is watching us from a distance.
From a distance you look like my friend,
even though we are at war.
From a distance I just cannot comprehend
what all this fighting is for.
From a distance there is harmony,
and it echoes through the land.
And it's the hope of hopes,
it's the love of loves,
it's the heart of every man.
It's the hope of hopes,
it's the love of loves.
This is the song of every man.
And God is watching us,
God is watching us,
God is watching us from a distance.
Oh, God is watching us,
God is watching.
God is watching us from a distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment