Sunday, July 29, 2007

Well, well, well

So, it's been a while. I know.

What the heck have I been up to the last few weeks? Well, there was a very welcome trip home for a couple of days. I took off after work on a Friday, flew home, unpacked Friday night, got a massage on Saturday and then repacked Sunday just to fly back here again. It was really a nice trip, though. I got to weed through the 3 month pile of mail that Joe hadn't dealt with, clean out the pantry from 3+ month old onions, potatoes and garlic (hon, if the pantry ever smells that bad again - please look around and don't assume it's a rotting mouse), water the one plant that we've had for 5 years and hadn't been watered in 3 months, get a wonderful massage, see the new Harry Potter movie (more on that below), check out my favorite farmers market in the world (pictures below), put all 50-odd SB pages that I've done into the appropriate album, and just hang out and relax. It was a good trip. Joe pointed out that I'm slightly obsessive-compulsive as I was sweeping the floors at 6am when I couldn't sleep anymore. Hmmph. Can't say that I disagree with him.





Work has been going well. Things were nutty there for a couple of weeks. I think I was spending more than half my day on the phone or in various meetings. Needless to say, I was ready to strangle some of the people who were on the opposite end of the phone line. They just didn't get it and kept changing direction. Sigh. At least we're off station. I can't imagine what kind of "help" we would have received back home.

I did a 5K run yesterday. It went much better than the last one that I did in college. This time, I actually ran for a couple of weeks before the day the run was happening. I feel pretty good about how I did - and my new shuffle helped keep me entertained while I was going along. I'm still waiting on my time as the results have been all updated, but mine is missing. Once again, other people get recognition and I get ignored. Sometimes that feels like the story of my life. Figures.

So, my new shuffle! I got a green refurbished shuffle from apple.com and I love it! It sure beats wearing the big iPod around biking or doing whatever. I can walk around and listen to good tunes. Love it.

I've been taking some belly dance classes once a week here on the island. They're a lot of fun (and hard work!) and I'll probably sign up for the next session. Can't say that I had imagined that I would ever take them, but they're fun and they're something to do during the week.

Last weekend I took a drive up to Irvine with the wife of a friend from work. I needed to get money back from a class that I couldn't take and she was looking for rehearsal dinner invites for her son's wedding. It was a successful trip and she was great company for the drive. I had a great time.

So, Harry Potter. As I said, Joe and I went to see the Book 5 movie when I was home and it was excellent. Today, I'm headed up to Mira Mesa to see the same movie in Imax 3D. I'm quite psyched. I've heard nothing but good about it in this format.



As you can see, I ordered the new Harry Potter book from Amazon. The book came in a very cool box that said something along the line of "Warning Muggles - do not open or read until July 21st". And there was a picture of Hedwig delivering a letter to Harry. So, I got the book at about 5:30 pm due to the trip to/from Irvine and devoured it. It was fantastic. I was done around 11pm. There were so many wonderful parts to the book - redemption, growth, loyalty, friendship. Excellent in all respects.

Oh, so the last thing is that I was reading in the NY times today that public universities are considering charging more for certain majors that others based on lab costs, professor salaries, etc. I would think that this could have an impact on the struggle that's already ongoing to recruit american students into the hard sciences and engineering. Interesting to see how it plays out.

So, I'm kinda tired of typing for now. I want to work on a couple of cards before I head up to the Imax movie. See ya!

1 comment:

  1. Phew! It's like my own personal Harry Potter! And now the wait is finally over. :j

    ReplyDelete