Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Who is John Galt?

“Rand believed that there is right and wrong,” he said, “that excellence should be your goal.” Stated by James M. Kilts, who led turnarounds at Gillette, Nabisco and Kraft. Reported by a NY Times article discussing Altas Shrugged 50th anniversary of first being published.

Atlas Shrugged and the Fountainhead are still 2 of my favorite all-time books. I remember trying to read the Fountainhead in high school and I could not finish it. Not because it wasn't good - but because here's this architect continually getting screwed by government and society. I didn't get why I was frustrated until I read the Atlas. And it all fell into place.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't struggle with The Fountain Head, but I did identify strongly the frustration Roark faced with my own struggles. I too didn't understand the significance of the struggle until I read Atlas Shrugged. Other than the radio address, I've devoured the book a dozen times or more. The radio address I mostly skip: by that point, if you don't get what she's trying to say, you probably never will. :j

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenna,
    I know who John Galt is....shhh. I definitely identify with the idea of right and wrong. I actually listened to both The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged as audiobooks. I'm tempted to listen to them again after hearing your comments here.
    I'm moving to San Antonio this weekend to start my new job at USAA. Wish me luck.

    the chicken hawk

    ReplyDelete