Friday, December 05, 2008

Finishing up vacation

It's been a good 2 weeks of vacation. I finally got fed up with checking emails from home because I was constantly over my allowed mailbox size and, since I'm home, couldn't save anything to my archives to clean things up. So, I quit. Whew.

My single frustration this week, save email, was something that's a major pet peeve. I received a bill from the dentist for MY ACCOUNT and MY TEETH. The "guarantor" on the bill? Joe. Yes, that's right - my spouse whose dental insurance I am no longer on - but I NEVER filled him out as the guarantor for any of my bills. So, I called and had them change it. They probably thought I was a weirdo, but, as I pointed out to them, we have totally separate insurances now and I can be the guarantor for my own account. Bleh.

This patriarchical crap relates to another pet peeve. I took Joe's last name when we got married - however, I did NOT take his NAME. I am NOT "Mrs. Joseph McGrath" (the worst of all of them) - I am NOT "Mrs Jenna McGrath" (not so bad, but still - the whole "Mrs." bugs the crap out of me). I strongly prefer to have items addressed to "Ms. Jenna McGrath" - and I have no patience for people who don't care to understand that, as a woman in today's society, my identity is not based on my husband. My identity - my NAME - is mine. I am my own person - I earn my own achievements, I have my own career and my life is not centered around my husband.

Whew - feminist rant over.

;-)

2 comments:

  1. So it looks like you've been decorating... the blog that is. Is this a new template of something you created?

    Oh, and move your email to Google. Yeah, I know, it's hard to give up an old account, but I have over 7 Gigs for email now that I don't get anywhere else. It totally rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The whole "Mrs. [insert husband's name] thing bugs me too". Remind me to tell you some time about the way credit used to work for married women!

    ReplyDelete