Sunday, January 04, 2009

Thoughts for the New Year

Well, the new year came into the McGrath household very quietly - I've been sick since getting back from Jersey (just a cold) and so I went to bed at 11pm that night. I figured it was already 2009 somewhere.

I'm so done with the snow here. We have probably 20 inches on the ground and can still only get the escape out of the driveway. We broke our snow shovel (it is cracked, but still functions for now) so thoughts of trying to get the honda dug out are futile. At least we haven't gotten the sort of snow that spokane has had already - I think they're up to 5 feet or something crazy like that. The snow has been great for Sabot, but it's too much, so he has to bound everywhere - which is fine if it's powder but not when it's a slushee-like mix.

I'm going to try to just relax and enjoy this year. It's a change for me not having some cool travel for work planned and it drives me nuts to see so many of my friends heading over to Japan for what will be a fun and challenging project. But, I just need to make it though to October, enjoy Europe and then I'm home free. I'm hopeful that there might be things that pop up (they always do), so maybe I'll get to go to new places - Portsmouth Naval Shipyard would be nice. Of course, I'll never turn down a trip to Pearl either! ;-)

We should be hearing soon if we managed to snag some hockey tickets for the 2010 Olympics up in Vancouver. It's a crazy lottery system or something, so who knows what will happen.

I've had about 9 days of work in the last 6 weeks, so I'm trying to gear up to head back to the yard tomorrow. I think I'll try to improve my outlook by baking today - on the docket will be Hello Dollies from the Magnolia Bakery cookbook and then some graham cracker chocolate with marshmallow topping cupcakes that are essentially the same (hopefully!) that trophy cupcakes up in seattle does. Mmmm.....

In the meantime, I'm stoking the fire to keep the house warm and conserve propane. I'm sure we'll get a delivery this week, but why waste the gas when we have such a great woodstove!

No comments:

Post a Comment