Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Back to Blogging

Let's see how long this lasts, shall we?

So, after about a week of Logan struggling MIGHTILY with the Halo Sleep Sack swaddle at night (we're talking 20-30 minutes sometimes of hearing him struggle after I put him down to sleep when he was soundly asleep) - we're weaning him off the sleep sack.  Last night was one arm out...we'll continue this for a few more days, but it was successful last night - not a peep after I put him to sleep. 

Between that and making sure he's really close to a deep sleep when I put him back down, I think that might be doing the trick to better (more restful) nights for all of us.  I get so excited when I can rock or nurse him to sleep, that I'd have him sleeping for about 5 minutes and then gently place him in the crib or co-sleeper bassinet.  Then, he'd be up or thrashing within minutes.  I did a bunch of googling (which is both a blessing and a curse to have the technology now where all the info is available on how badly you're screwing up your kid by doing this or that) and found from Dr. Sears that it takes about 25 minutes to get a baby into a deep sleep.  And, Logan is not a self soother for sleeping (we've been successful with that twice in over 6 weeks), so I think that for now the trick is getting him really close to that deep sleep.  It means I stay up at night a little longer to rock him or nurse him for an extra 20 minutes...or, rock him during the day - but it'll be worth it in the long run.  And, I won't spend 30 minutes after putting him down trying to drown out the swaddle escape efforts with a pillow over my head...


We've had visitors for about the last 3.5 weeks...Grandma Patti was here for two wonderful short weeks!  She had lots of cuddle time with Logan and he shared his first smile with her and showed off by rolling over LOTS for her!  

My folks also heard that we didn't have any bears or white sox gear and knew they needed to rectify that situation.  Logan is lamenting the bears not doing so well this year.


Awesome snuggle time with my mom.  I think he slept like this for nearly 1.5 hours!


Logan and I headed out on his 1 month birthday to visit a friend of mine from college!  He was such a trooper - slept the entire lunch - including the car ride!  That's what mama likes...

1 comment:

  1. What a great post! I think Logan will be thrilled to be rid of the sleep sack.

    ReplyDelete