Sunday, March 11, 2012

Minor Lifestyle Change...

So, yeah....it's been a while since a blog post, I'd say. Tracking along toward some of my last posts...there I was, almost 41 weeks pregnant (per the midwife's date) and no baby had arrived.  I had two midwife appointments the week of Jan 23rd - one at the start of the week that was just my normal third trimester check-up and then one later in the week to do an ultrasound that checked for amniotic fluid levels and a fetal non-stress test.

All week I walked, swam and did a LOT of baking because being at home with no baby was getting a little old.  Little did I know how quickly that would change.

Went to the midwife on Friday Jan 27th and had the two tests mentioned.  The ultrasound tech, as she was doing the measurements for amniotic fluid, commented that she'd be surprised if I'd get to go through the weekend without an induction.  The acceptable range for amniotic fluid levels is 6 - 25cm in all the quadrants of the uterus.  I was at... 2.5 cm - yes - there is a decimal place in there.  The non-stress test went swimmingly (very unstressful!) but when the midwife saw my ultrasound results, I got the "do not pass go, do not collect $200" - in other words - I was being sent straight to the hospital from the midwife's office and I was going to be induced that day.  Huh.  That kind of changes the whole birth center plan, doesn't it?!  I was bummed out and not at all prepared for a hospital birth.  AND - Joe was still at work.  So, I calmly called him while waiting for the midwife to do a check on how far along I was prior to heading to the hospital and gave him the news.

Speeding through the next 10 hours....at 9:45 pm on January 27th, 2012 - we welcomed Logan Miler McGrath into the world. He was a healthy 9 pounds 10 ounces and 21.5 inches long.

Here we are on the 29th - just a few hours before heading home.  Ah, if I knew how easily he would sleep then compared to when he "woke up". 



Week one - milk comas are AMAZING!  Mom's lack of sleep - not so much.  But, we're figuring each other out.


Just over one week old and it's time for the Superbowl!  Giants vs. somebody - giants won and we had our own little football in house. 


Logan has woken up!  Look at those huge eyes.  There wasn't much other than a scowl for the first few weeks, but once the smile bug hit him - it's been there in full force.  There are no words for how much joy I get when he smiles at me.  That big, toothless, amazing smile.


One month old...and, as Joe puts it - doing the sprinkler or the Hulkimaniac.  You pick.  ;-)


The first month was really long...when we were in it.  Joe had it all off and my mom came out to spend two weeks with us (week 4 and 5 of Logan's life).  What a treat to have her here....can't wait till the next visit in April for the Baptism.

At the end of the first month, Logan was smiling, rolling from his tummy to his back and really noticing people finally.  We could all tell that his attention was a lot more focused than it was previously. 

What does Month 2 bring us?  We'll just have to wait and see...

No comments:

Post a Comment