Sunday, June 03, 2012

Long Beach Mini Break

We finally did it...we ventured out on a mini-vacation with Logan and everyone survived.

Joe purchased a Living Social deal a few months ago for the Adrift Hotel in Long Beach, WA.  It was a great deal - two nights, continental breakfast basket each morning, 4 pack of local beer, chocolates and a voucher for pizza at the hotel restaurant for $159 (there was an upcharge from $109 since we wanted it on a weekend).  Super cute pet friendly boutique hotel right on the ocean.  We decided to not bring Sabot this time...maybe another time, but I wasn't too thrilled about our first night in a hotel with Logan to be accompanied by a nutty dog.  I'd highly recommend the Adrift hotel to anyone venturing down here and we're most definitely keeping an eye out for more deals at this place in the future.

Anywho, the trip down here was LONG.  We were stuck behind some of the slowest drivers known to man.  Logan did awesome in the car - we had one nursing break at a state park south of Raymond and then he got a little tired of being in the carseat towards the very end of the trip...but he did awesome for almost 4 hours.

When we got checked in, we decided to venture out in town and along the boardwalk.  It was a really nice evening for a walk...except Logan was not digging the BOB / carseat combo so we (ahem, I) ended up carrying him for a good chunk of the walk.  We came upon the Country Kitchen bakery - it was recommended by Lisa, so I knew we had to stop in.  Joe and I were in heaven!  The treats we got were so yummy - we snarfed down everything super quick and decided it was a must to visit again on Satuday.   So, there we were walking when we came upon the world's largest frying pan (also mentioned by Lisa) and a driftwood razor clam.

If you're not familiar with Washington coastal clamming - the razor clam is the big draw to ocean beaches on certain weekends throughout the year.  These little stinkers (and they can get to be pretty big) are highly sought after...people use clam guns to dig them up and they can move super fast through the sand.  Anyway - a totally random, completely Washington type of thing.

We had a low key evening at the hotel restaurant.  They have some creative pizzas that I wouldn't have expected at a little hotel...we enjoyed a calamari pizza with spinach and a bechamel sauce.  Thin crust, wood fired...yummy.

Sleeping with a little one in a one room hotel was going to be a bit of a change for all of us.  I have this super awesome Kidco Peapod portable tent / bed that we talked about trying, but since he's so little still - we opted for the pack n'play with a sheet over the top.

We all slept ok the first night - Logan got a few 4 hour stretches and didn't wake up crying at all.  We got him to bed a little late and we didn't do a bath before bed (no kid tub, small bathroom) so I wasn't sure how he'd be with the routine messed up.  Plus, we had the window open to the outside since the room was stuffy, so there was a fair amount of noise till about 10pm.

Saturday rolled around and we were ready to hit the road again.  We had Cannon Beach, Camp Rilea and Astoria on the agenda.  We talked about trying to make it to Ecola state park, a little south of Cannon Beach...but it wasn't in the cards.

It was a fairly rainy day to start, but we figured that we were this close, we might as well venture on.  It was still drizzly and windy when we got to Cannon Beach, so we just did a quick photo stop near the famous Haystack Rock and found a nice parking lot on the beach so I could feed the boy.  Cannon Beach looked like a super cute little town and we'd love to make that our base for another trip to this area in the future.

We decided to not head to Ecola on this trip - Logan had spent a ton of time in the carseat the last couple of days and he just wasn't having much more of it.

Camp Rilea was a bit of a bust - we didn't know our way around there at all and kept dead ending onto roads that led to live ranges or Oregon National Guard drill sites.  It's supposed to be a great MWR stop - something to put on our "to do" list in the future again.  It's great to be part of the DOD still and have access to all these cool MWR activites.

We got back to Astoria (home of the Goonies!), had lunch on the river (meh), fed Logan again overlooking the river and then decided to go for a walk since the weather had turned beautiful.  We plopped the kiddo in our Ergo ( he's now way too big for the infant insert - we got a whole 2 uses out of that...), put the ergo on Joe and off we went.  Logan was loving walking around like this - and Joe was digging it too.  It made me so happy to see them enjoying this so much.  Logan liked it SO much, that he fell asleep when we were on our way back to the car.  Astoria is a typical NW town - based originally on logging and / or fishing...struggling to stay alive and has now brings people in with tourism.  They have a really nice river walk that we enjoyed with some great views of a REALLY big bridge!  The approach on this thing is STEEP coming from the Washington side of the Columbia River.  

When we finished up with Astoria, we made our way back to Long Beach.  Have I mentioned what a little trooper we have with all the time in the carseat?  Yeah, he was a little fussy now and then, but he's such a happy little baby on the whole, that it's not too bad...

We walked around Long Beach by the hotel and he went back into the Ergo (after another feeding, of course!).  I wanted to feed him on the beach and enjoy the sun, but it was just a little too cold for us - I wasn't thrilled at the prospect of a snotty baby nose all over me as he nursed (ah, the mental image of how that would have gone).  Joe and Logan ventured out to the ocean - Joe was telling me that Logan was just enthralled by the waves.  

Deviation from vacation...this is one of the coolest things about having a four month old.  He really notices everything going on around him.  Things that are old hat to Joe and I are totally new experiences for this little human being.  I don't think we expected him to be so interested in the waves or ocean.  One of these days in the not so distant future, he'll be running and splashing in the surf.  

Back to real time..

We buzzed around town quickly to grab some dinner (picnic in the room of chowder for me and random fried seafood items for Joe) and dessert (hello, Country Kitchen again!) and chilled with the kiddo the rest of the night.  Joe ventured out after the Devils lost in OT AGAIN (they suck!) to catch the sunset while I chilled with the baby. 

Saturday night was NOT a good sleep night for anyone.  I think the longest stretch that Logan had was 2 hours.  Luckily, he didn't wake up crying at all...just talking...and talking...and talking - all very cheerful chatter too.  We resorted to the swaddle for this trip to make sleeping easier for him.  We hadn't counted on him being a little houdini and breaking out of it within minutes of being put it in sometimes.  Sigh.  We can't get upset with him because he's a kiddo and we're putting him in this new situation.  But, it was still pretty tiring.  Joe and I traded off trying to get him back to sleep, but it ended up that I fed him about every 2.5 hours during the night just to get any sleep.  Of course, now he's been napping for about an hour!   And we're on our 3rd cups of coffee almost!  As soon as he wakes up (and of course, is fed again), we're heading back north to home and the start of another normal week.

That reminds me that last week wasn't all that awesome (daycare policies, missing lots of work, etc)...another blog post to follow.


  1. Yay for mini vacays with lots of pics! We haven't been to Cannon Beach together yet so we'll have to check it out soon!

    Penny is also sort of in between on the ergo insert. Sheshpuld still be in it because she's too small without it, but she's not very comfortable in it anymore. We've gotten about a dozen uses though ;)

    when we're away from home, I just take a bath with her.

    Glad you guys had fun!

  2. I was so curious all weekend about how the car ride, hotel stay, etc. was going. It looks like you guys had an amazing trip! You'll catch up on that lost sleep eventually (that's what I keep telling myself!).

  3. Glad to hear you all had a good trip. The little Houdini comment made me laugh because that's what we used to call Joe. Besides climbing out of second floor windows he also figured out how to open the 'child-proof' gate really quick. Good to hear Logan is a chip off the old block. The best is yet to come!