Friday, November 20, 2015

Week in Review and Meal Plan

 This last week seemed to start off quickly.  I think since the weekend. Was so busy, that it didn't feel like much of a break.  and here we were again.  Work is zooming by for me right now.  I'll be headed over to Japan in less than two weeks for final availability preparations, so everything is just ramping up. Every day is making sure all the things we have been working on for the last year are ready, that the people are set to go and that I'm building my list of things to pack.

The evenings were hectic to start as well, with various things going on.  Dinners were simple this week...I'm trying to clear out the freezer and pantry.  The more that I can get rid of, the better, as I want our house guests to be able to make themselves as comfortable as possible.  

Logan helped me fold the place mats and napkins one of the days,  he might have been told that if he didn't, Star Wars Legos would be turned off the TV.  He responded appropriate,y and got everything done. 


I've been trying to participate in the Oiselle #chasethebird challenge this November. Basically being active (running, yoga, strength stuff, etc), for 15 min a day.  I've been mostly pretty right on the money and this week was no exception.  I've been doing more videos and core work than running (ugh, hello half marathon on Dec 27), but have been enjoying it.  I started some of the 21 Day Fix workouts for something a little more intense than PiYo.  It's been a nice change, but my legs have been smoked!  This was an "easy" Pilates day.  


I'm so glad I don't have a winter marathon this year.  It's so hard for me to get motivated to get out of the house and run when it's likely to be cold, dark and rainy.  I need to get in about 6 tomorrow am, but the weather should be dry.  This time of year, I'll take cold and dark in a heartbeat.  

I feel like we are past the threenager stage now (thank god) and I have my cool little dude back.  That doesn't mean we don't have our moments, but we are able to talk about what's coming up, changing plans and all sorts of good things, without total meltdowns.  

Having actual conversations has been pretty amazing.  We were on the way home this week and asked Logan what he wanted to do when he grew up.  His first response was something along the lines of "stay at home" to which Joe and I muttered to each other "great, a stoner who is trying to live with us at the age of 30" so we redirected the conversation to what he would enjoy doing when he got to e a grown up.  He talked about playing on big kid play things...so we asked if that could be roller coasters...and that he could build roller coasters and big kid play things.  He loved that (who wouldn't) so I'm going with that as of that moment, he wants to be a Disney Imagineer.  😍

Ok, so meals.  I think I've mentioned before that I have to have a meal plan now to get us through the week.  There's no more quick stopping by the grocery street on the way home.   On Friday nights, I make the plan for the following week so that I can grocery shop (and do the farmers market if I can) on Saturday. Miss a lot easier now than it used to be since Logan can just be occupied when we get home and I don't need to bounce between him, getting the house settled after work and making dinner.  My meals are generally things that only take 30-40 minutes (max) to prep and then cook.   I don't have sides listed, but there will always be a veggie...staples in our rotation are steamed or roasted broccoli or carrots.  Spinach salads (yes, the kid likes salads), kale or chard.

Here's our plan for the week of 11/21/15:

Saturday: date night for Joe and I.  Logan always has a frozen pizza when his babysitter comes over.
Sunday: steak fajitas with trader joes carne asada.
Monday:  I have a massage at 5pm, so Joe is in charge of dinner.  Either potstickers or takeout.
Tuesday: Sloppy Joe Tater Tot casserole from Buns in My Oven.  Not the sort of thing I'd normally make, but I'm going with it in an attempt to clean out the freezer and have a Joe friendly meal. 
Wednesday: one skillet chicken with garlicky broccoli and croutons from the Kitchn. 
Thursday: Thanksgiving!  Our amazing neighbors invited us over again to share with their family.  I'm bringing roasted Brussel sprouts with pancetta from Food52; cheesy spinach and bacon dip from Damn Delicious (a Pinterest recipe that actually worked!); chocolate cream pie from Serious Eats.  
Friday: grilled salmon

That's it for now!



2 comments: