Friday, January 29, 2016

Exploring Kamakura...



After a full day at work in Saturday for me, we ventured to Kamakura on Sunday.  We managed to snag one of the front seats on the Enoshima Electric line...most of the trains don't have visibility into the engineers area...this is definitely the exception!  Logan loved watching him drive the train for us...


I had plans for us to visit the big Buddah....I've been there a number of times with various friends and couldn't wait to show Logan.  We arrived at the Hase station early...stores were just starting to open and I thought we'd be in for minimal crowds and a great view.

Well...we did have both.  When the woman at the ticket counter said "free today",  I just thought we happened upon some holiday.  Hmmmm....little did I know...


Ugh.  Really?  The whole thing is being refurbished until the end of March...sounds like another visit is in order...

We walked back the way we came and went to Hase Dera.  I've been to this site a number of times and love it for the view of Zushi. 


It'll be even more spectacular in a month or two with all the flowers and blossoms..but it's still a beautiful place.



Up top of the trail, looking back towards Zushi. It looks so far away, but we covered that ground quickly for lunch.  


Time to explore the cave part of the shrine...



A jizo statue....


After Hase Dera, we went to the Sea Casle restaurant for lunch. A German restaurant that's been in operation for almost 60 years..it was delish.  We were a little early for their posted opening time, but ended up being able to have lunch. So much good food!  We all shared a sausage platter, pickles, fried potatoes...yum. Definitely a neat place and we can't wait to revisit.  

We went back to Kamakura and wandered around with the rest of the Sunday crowds.  It's such a cool town...and I'm sure I'd have a lot more to say if I hadn't been with an almost 4 year old.  Browsing is not in is vocabulary.  Joe felt like munching, but nothing seemed to satisfy what he was wanting...


And then we went to the main shrine in town...Tsurugaoka Hachiman-gu.  Joe and I have both been here before and I hadn't realized exactly where it was until that moment where we saw the tori gate..

The amount of street food available here is impressive.  We had grapes covered in candy coating (nom!)...


And strawberries in candy coating on top of a ritz cracker with a sugar (??) sprinkle. 



I love the mix of old and new in Japan...and it seems like it's especially present at the temples and shrines.  Joe and I both saw two younger women in kimonos taking pics in front of the sake barrels...and I couldn't help but snap a picture...




It was quite the day of walking and the kiddo was absolutely be at by the end. We were hanging on by a string...so I got donuts.  When we got home, it was way too late for a nap, so Logan sustained his sugar level to get him through via a chocolate frosted donut.  I got this adorable frog donut....


More exploring is needed in Kamakura.  There are so many sites to visit...another weekend, when the Daibutsu reopens,,,we will be back.






No comments:

Post a Comment